The Professional Choice

A companion overview to the popular "Ask Mr. Handyman" radio program airing on Christian Talk Radio, KCRO 660AM Saturdays @ 9:30AM.

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

A Clever Way to Spend Your Tax Return

Go Green! Free 'Green' Stuff from Uncle Sam.

As a primary homeowner a tax payer could receive up to a $1500 tax credit for increasing the energy efficiency of their home. If you use your tax return to purchase energy efficient doors, windows, HVAC equipment, water heaters, skylights or insulation and roofing materials you will get 30% of that money returned to you as a tax credit. If you need some of these items anyway taking advantage of this tax credit just makes financial sense.

There are certain requirements and some paperwork to keep but it is money returning to you. If you do not take advantage of it this year you will miss out. I'll put it this way. If you received a tax return of $1000 this year and expect to get about the same back next year, you could spend this years return on a $1000 home improvement (materials costs only) and next year you'll receive $1300 back instead of the $1000 because of the tax credit. You could spend up to $5000 on these home improvement projects to max out at the $1500 limit.

Not all windows, doors and HVAC purchases qualify for the tax credit. Consult a tax professional or go to for more detailed information. You can call Mr. Handyman for more information as well.